The West African Research Travel Grant is now open and are currently receiving applications for its 2023 grant program. The program wishes to encourage inter-African cooperation and exchange among researchers and institutions by providing funding for research visits to other institutions and regions on the continent by African scholars and graduate students.
Program Eligibility Criteria:
- The competition is open only to West African nationals
- Priority will be given to those affiliated with West African colleges, universities, or research institutions.
The West African Research Travel Grant provides travel costs up to $1,500 and a stipend of $1,500.
The travel grant fund(s) may be used to:
- visit libraries or archives located in Africa with resources necessary to the applicant’s academic work
- engage in collaborative work with colleagues at another African institution
- travel to a research site in Africa
Grant Application Process:
- Provide Abstract (50-80 words) of proposed activity with a clear statement of purpose
- Project/Research description (6 double-spaced pages maximum) including why travel is necessary (must be in language understandable to non-specialist readers)
- Proposed budget
- Curriculum vitae (with research and teaching record)
- Photocopy of the applicant’s passport (must be a West African national)
- All applications must be submitted online in PDF documents
- All applicants must have a recommendation letter.
- If visiting another institution: provide invitation from host institution
- If travel is to consult archives or other materials: provide a description of the collections to be consulted and their significance to the applicant’s research
- If you are a graduate student: provide letter of recommendation from professor overseeing your research.
Please address inquiries to: Mariane Yade; West African Research Center/Centre de Recherche Ouest Africaine